Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A temple festival

This past weekend there was a temple festival help at the temple at the end of the street. The weeks prior they had spent much time painting the temple and decorating it for the festival. The decorations included ornamental lights, flowers, banana trees and leaves. It was really interesting to see. I have asked about the festival but still do not understand what it was about. We saw our maid and gardener and they were thrilled to have us visit. The food preparation began early in the morning and was cooked in huge pots over a wood fire. When evening approached they blocked off the road and set up a long row of tables and chairs. Everyone knows how I love taking photos but I am always a little hesitant about taking pictures of people. I always like to check with Bhaskar if it okay for me to take photos. He assured me they would not mind and I was amazed at all the kids surrounding me asking me to take their photo. I was disappointed with my photos though, I am still trying to figure the camera out:)



Saraswathe and Sampeth and family (our maid and gardener)





1 comment:

Jen Kumar said...

THanks for sharing the photos. Very beautiful decorations.
Was this festival Varalakshmi Vratham by chance? It's the festival for the Goddess at end of Aadi mausam...Some Indians here (In US) celebrated this last Friday.