Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Hindu Wedding

We have attended wedding receptions before but never a wedding as they are often at 6 am in the morning but today we attended the wedding which began at 9 am. The wedding was held at a marriage hall which had a roof, a concrete floor and open walls. Music played by various instruments. Breakfast, tea and coffee were served in an adjacent dining hall and drinks were frequently passed out during the ceremony. The groom works for Ted and was very honored to have us attend. We were of course the only western couple there and had our photo taken frequently! I took lots of photos, I chose to take my point and shoot camera so I wouldn't be so obvious but oh I wish I had my Canon there! The ceremony lasted around 1 1/2 hrs in which there were many rituals performed. They threw a lot of flowers, sprinkled oil, adorned each other with gee (clarified butter I think), washed feet, etc. The one thing that really stuck out was how much of a role the parents played. In India not only do a man and woman unite in marriage but the family does as well. The fathers each put gee (I think) on each others cheek and the mothers did the same. The groom washed his father's feet and the bride washed her mother's feet. The wedding seemed to be completed when the drums were beating very fast as the bride was present a leather like thin necklace which signifies the marriage.

No comments: