Thursday, August 21, 2008

A hard life under the sleeping trees



I have said so many times that India is an incredible nation of millions of people. The poverty here is enormous and sometimes overwhelming. The only difference between the people here and myself is that they were born in India and I was born in the United States. People everywhere have the same basic needs in life. Some needs are met more easily than others. Here the people seem to be faced with such adversity but they continue forward. Now not everyone here is subject to such great poverty but an incredible amount are. Every time I go out I am faced with poverty right in my face. Am I used to it? Yes, but does it still make an impact? Yes! I hope that in 2 years I can still say that. On the way to school we have been seeing the blue tents which the government will probably eventually remove but for now they have set up camp. Early in the morning the women prepare food over a wood fire, you can see some pots between tents. The clothes are washed with a bucket of water and beat again the ground and hung to dry. For now this beautiful tree lined street (the trees are called sleeping trees) gives these people shelter from the intense heat and a place to call home.



1 comment:

BIZCRAZY said...

your blog quite enthusiastically.
I am from Kerala and I would suggest you plan a trip to Kerala when you have along weekend. Its a beautiful place to visit.....