Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The zoo





Emily and her class went to the Vandalur Zoo and I was allowed to go. It is a huge zoo and covers a lot of land. There was a paved road throughout but we were put on a trolley so that the kids would not get too tired. It meant not being able to see everything but there would have been no way to walk the whole thing with the kids. There elephants, hippopotamus, lions, tigers, leopards, deer, orangutan's, gorillas, snakes (saw my first on hopefully only cobra in India), crocodiles, etc. It was a fun time. We went on a "lion safari" which consisted of us riding in a bus type vehicle which was covered with metal grates to keep us from being lion food. Although the way things are done here I am not sure I would have withstood a lion attack. But we went through a couple of double gates and out into the forest. We saw all 6 lions with in about 5 minutes. It was very cool to see the lions so close in there natural environment. I was most amazed at what the snakes are fed...live chickens are put in the cage. I feel really sorry for the chicken and wonder if he knows what his future holds.

1 comment:

Hilary Melick said...

Hey Em! It sounds like you had an AWESOME field trip! I am so jealous:) I am sure that ALL of the kindergarteners and first graders here at Princveille would have LOVED it!

The picture of you and your friend is cute:)

Mrs. Melick