Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Friday Market

Poultry for sale

Dried Fish

Oxen already sold to the highest bidder

Colored Chicks (reminds me of Easter Peeps)
The market


A few Friday's ago Bhaskar and I headed to a Friday market to look at some plants and it was a really interesting trip. At the market you could buy everything from a water buffalo to a toothbrush. They sold lots of different kinds of poultry- ducks, chickens, turkeys, parakeets, and lots of other birds that I didn't recognize (and I didn't even come down with the bird flu). The most amazing thing I saw were colored chicks. One day we drove past a bicycle carrying a basket of these colored chicks and I thought my mind was playing tricks. I am not sure why they dye them. They definitely looked like some sort of Easter decoration! The market had a lovely selection of plants, I ended up buying some rose bushes and a giant dahlia. I really enjoy going out and seeing things like this. Unfortunately we missed the water buffalo sale, I guess that begins around 6 am. I guess we really don't need a water buffalo that bad! On the drive to the market we went past a landfill...or garbage dump. We do have garbage pickup on our street and I always wondered where it went once it left our house, now I know. This service is alreay paid to the government but in order to get the people to pick up our trash we have to pay them a bribe of 200 rupees (about $5 USD) once a month. There were people, dogs, cows, goats and I am sure lots of other things out digging through the garbage. Then eventually the garbage gets burnt.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun-filled smelly day!

Hilary Melick said...

Okay, those colored chicks are really strange. Are they REAL???:):):)

Looks like you guys are having a great time!

Hilary

The Green Family said...

Yes Hilary, those chicks were really real! Interesting huh?

Julie said...

Um...yeah, those colored chicks are just creepy.

Anonymous said...

Ok I finally read your blogs. Kinda interesting for such a dull color.