Friday, February 1, 2008

Is there a doctor in the house...I mean India?

Well, today one of the kids (I won't mention any names as to not embarrass her/him) visited the doctors office. I figured this would be pretty interesting and it indeed was. Our child has been having tummy troubles ever since playing in the Indian Ocean last week. A lot of school has been missed as the child just has not been feeling "right". So I called a friend yesterday to get some doctoring advice. This morning I called our company doctor who was unfortunately out of town but he did give me a referral. So I called Dr. B and was told to come by 10 am...granted I called at 9:10. Never would this happen in the states! Wow, that was fast. So we headed out. I grabbed some cash but had no clue what it would cost. When we pulled up to the office our driver was a bit concerned as to how I found this doctor, but he was relieved when I told him the company doctor referred us. When we walked to the door the sign said, "PLEASE REMOVE YOUR SHOES BEFORE ENTERING." I thought to myself there are no way these feet are coming out of these sandals. So in we walked and were motioned to sit in the waiting room which consisted of about 8 chairs. The lady motioned for us to walk through another door and there was the exam room. Again there was a sign about shoe removal and we ignored it. The doctor introduced himself and we sat down to discuss symptoms. I was about to come unglued when he got a metal tongue depressors out. Of course those of you who knows of my germaphobia knows what was going through my mind. I later asked if those had been properly cleaned and was told yes they had been washed. So lets just pray they were really washed well. For the family member in the medical field please send me disposable tongue depressors:-)

So the exam was complete and it was determined that a bit too much ocean water just caused some bacteria to get out of hand in the stomach so now we were off to the pharmacy. But first we had to pay the bill...$3.75! I told the driver in the US it would normally be about $80. He then informed me he normally only pays $1.50 for visit at a different office. Before we left the office the doctor wanted to hear about where we moved from and what we think of it here. Propably this is the first time an American has been in his office.

So the pharmacy. I had a list of medications. The pharmacist dumped sacks out on the counter to find the right meds. After getting the medicine I settled the bill and paid about $2 for the medicine. It wasn't a bet experience just so different but than that is part of living in India, let's just say I hope none of seek serious medical care here!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you got him/her sorted out. Did the fever break?

If you feel freakish about medical care in India, I recommend the documentary "Sicko." It will certainly change your mind about medical care abroad.

Hilary Melick said...

hi!
what an interesting story! you guys are having so many cool and unique experiences! how is everyone feeling emotionally.........all settled in...adjusted?? it sounds like you are all doing well considering you are living in a different country!:) i can't wait to read more, i love checking on your daily happenings!

ps.-tell em i say "hello" and i wish i could pull that tooth!:) also, tell the kids we are having our first snow day today. it snowed about 4-5 inches last night and is blowing pretty good this AM.

Rachel said...

hi guys!
So you never took your shoes off? Rule breakers! I hope that he/she is feeling better. I was just talking to Sonja and emily called for Alyssa. I'm glad she is keeping in touch with friends. We are going to try and enjoy some snow today.
I think I am now Jennifer Green at Bunco! I took your spot last week and I think will continue. The bunco I'm in has had a tough time keeping people so we may stop. I don't think I could do two nor does Mike want me to!
Take care.

Janie Rider said...

Jennifer,
I love reading your blog daily. Very interesting. Noah asks me each day if you have posted. I showed him yesterday how to check your blog. He especially was fascinated by the cows on the beach. He is a very clean young man and so he was concerned about the cleanliness of the clinic. Too funny!! Take Care and keep blogging.
Janie

Anonymous said...

I hope whoever is sick, feels better! We got about 5 in Lafayette, still had to go of course, so that was fun tracking through the snow, not as interesting as your story! hehe!

Karen White said...

Jennifer, I am learning about blogging through my friend's son's surgery experience. Didn't know about the "comments". Found your blog address, so will always check on you. Love your pics and stories. Please when you are home and would have time (ha ha) we could visit. I will be praying for a safe, healthy, and educational bonding experience. Thank you for taking the time to blog. I love reading about your everyday experiences and how different they are there. Blessing, Karen White

Hilary Melick said...

hi karen! it's me, hilary....i forgot that you and jennifer knew each other:):)