Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Traveling ATM

We needed to get quite a bit of cash to purchase something for a friend who had to leave India suddenly. Banking in India is an interesting experience as is just about everything else. The bank that we bank at, or I should say Ted banks at (I am not on the account-too much paperwork involved for that!) is located in the city and is quite a drive in and I hear from Ted quite an experience inside. I have never been inside since I am not on the account. But I have an ATM card with Ted's name and use it to get rupees at just about any ATM. The ATM however limits the amount of money you can take out, that is if the ATM has power. It is not uncommon for ATM to either be out of cash or unable to give cash to due power outages.

note the sign written on cardboard~power cut
Since we needed a large amount of rupees today we emailed the bank president to request money to be delivered. We have done this once before and I must say it is pretty convenient! The guy drives a two wheeler to the house with a brief case loaded with rupees. He comes in and Ted gives him a check. The only glitch was that Ted made the check out wrong and the guy spoke no English, but we got it figured out! So we got the rupees, ordered our friends stuff and didn't have to visit the bank or the ATM everyday for a week! I am quite sure I will never again have an ATM show up on my door step!

1 comment:

Emma said...

How many of us have moaned and groaned about customer service (the lack of) in India...and then, every now and again something so customer orientated happens and we all go into complete shock!!