Thursday, May 28, 2009

Please don't say thank you

I was at store today shopping for some silver jewelry. Whenever I shop, unless I am extremely irritated with the shop, I am polite. I like to say please and thank you. But today the sales clerk, very nicely said you don't need to say please and thank you, I am here to serve you. I told him I believe being polite (saying please and thank you) was important to me. I explained that by me being polite he could still help me and that I felt it would be rude of me to forget my manners! The other funny thing was he kept wanting me to sit down while looking at jewelry but the fact that I am so short made it hard to get a good look at the jewelry, so I stood. I actually joked and asked if he would get in trouble if I didn't sit down:) Soon I will be back to the US where it will be hard to find a salesclerk in a three mile radius of the store and I will wish for a brief nanosecond I was back in India!

1 comment:

Jen Kumar said...

Curious! This reminds me of something my (Indian) father in law said to me when he stayed with us for three months this year in US... "Why is it in America the sales clerk tells you 'Have a nice day.' after taking your money?"
He had a good point. I am giving my wealth away to someone, interesting viewpoint! The clerk is having a good day, his job is secure, but my money is gone! :)