Thursday, May 7, 2009

The chicken bike and the rickshaw horn...

It was a glorious day in Chennai. Ever since last year when I first saw the chicken bike I have had this internal nagging that I had to capture it on film or well digital format. So I scheduled the morning to drive the streets of Chennai looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack. I of course had to explain the whole needle in the haystack to Bhaskar! We drove for sometime with no chickens in sight. We were driving through one area and Bhaskar said it was where Brahman people (strict vegetarians) lived, so we headed to the meat eater section! But again no chickens on bikes. I was beginning to lose hope when Bhaskar announced we would drive to the wholesale chicken area which happens to be by the used car part (ie junkyard) of Chennai. I kind of felt like I was cheating but hey I am desperate, only another month here so desperate times called for desperate measures. We drove through and saw no activity. I had actually decided that I would pay someone some rupees if they would just tie up some chickens for the photo. Alright, please keep your animal rights views to yourself. When at last we had a photo! A guy had about 10 chickens tied to his scooter but then we struck gold and saw a guy tying chickens to his BICYCLE! So at last I got my chicken photo!

A banana shop
a goat stallA cock fight
Do you want that chicken with or without with flies?
Chicken scooterThe chicken bicycle!




Logan also did something today that he has always wanted to do...reach out the window and honk an auto rickshaw's horn. We kept our eye out for the perfect opportunity when finally it happened. Bhaskar slowed down and told the driver that Logan wanted to honk the horn and he did it! What day. I guess for some of us it doesn't take much for a good day huh?

Logan fulfilling a dream :)

1 comment:

Emma said...

Ha Ha! Love that post!