Friday, May 16, 2008

We are not in Illniois anymore

This week has been a week in which I have learned a few things about being an expat. In an expat community there seems to be an invisible bond of trust between parents. The community in Illinois in which we moved from is a very small community (approx 2000) in which everyone knows everyone. Consequently our kids never went to someone's house that I didn't know. But in an expat community that is not the case. Now granted you do know some of the parents but not all of them. Chennai is a huge city and people are so spread out and often there is a language barrier. Some parents come to school and some just come occasionally. I discovered this week that I have let my guard down because we are so far from everything in which the kids have ever known and I am so grateful that they have friends that I have become to relaxed! I realized last week after dropping one of the boys and 2 of his friends of at a birthday party that some questions that may not be the norm are going to be asked from now on. The birthday party was held at a go kart track which I was aware of and was fine with. But what I didn't know was there would be no parental supervision and that a teenager would be driving them. Thankfully everyone was safe and at least I learned a lesson from it! Here are a few questions I will will be asking:

Will there be parental supervision while my child is at your house?
Who will be driving my child?

The boys are each at a sleepover tonight and I will sleep in peace! It sure is quiet here!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Hi Green Family. We're a family of 4 (2 daughters - 5&3) heading to Chennai for a 3 year posting this upcoming July (with the US Consulate). I've been reading Chennai expats blogs for the past few months - just thought I'd stop in to say hello (I didn't see a place to send a personal e-mail). Thanks for letting me continue to learn about India through your blog. Jill