Saturday, January 26, 2008

Feet or Meters?



Well we are officially the owners of lots of rope! Ted asked me to go and buy some rope the other day for a swing for the kids. Bhaskar and I headed off to the "rope" store. As I have mentioned before getting things in India involves going to a store that specializes just in that item. Bhaskar pulled up in front of the store and said "one moment ma'am". So I stayed put in the car...who knows perhaps women are not allowed in rope shops. In a few minutes he came up and gave me the price per meter. I of course am thinking one meter equals three feet and figured that probably 25 would be enough. BUT remember Bhaskar was thinking meters and me the American was not thinking meters but was thinking FEET! He came out with a whole roll of this really nice thick cotton rope. I asked why there was so much and said that if they had cut just 25 off the roll there wouldn't have been very much left to sell so I really got a good price. We came home and unrolled it and realized that I have over 25 meters of rope...more like 30 meters! So now we have 2 swings plus a rope bridge between 2 trees. At last the rope is gone. Now I joke that we need to get some more rope...not. I just need to pay attention to which measuring system is being used!

No comments: