Sunday, January 20, 2008

A day with the cook

I must say that I had a wonderful Friday and Saturday. Our neighbors were heading out of town for a few days and they graciously let me "borrow" their cook. Let me just say that there were plenty of things that I borrow from people in Princeville, but I must admit I never dreamt I would udder those words...may I borrow your cook? I really enjoy cooking but this was a wonderful experience. It all began Friday when I told him that he could use one of our drivers to get the supplies. And of course there was no way I was going to stay home. I tagged along with him to get the supplies. Our first stop was the fish market where there were a bunch of fish laying on plywood boards, some of which were covered with banana leaves. He selected dinner...a Promfret fish. The photo below is of our driver Sundar (in white) and Anthony the cook is next to him and of course dinner in on the table.
Then we went to several shops to pick up various herbs and other items. I had him show me where heavy cream and yogurt were located so that I could make my own sour cream. Then we were off to buy fresh chicken and I do mean fresh. Straight from the cage to the oven. The chicken guy proceeded to "prepare" the chicken, then Anthony finished it off at home. I was out while he did this but it is amazing what he did. He actually deboned the chicken but it still looked like a whole chicken which he then stuffed. I am going to have to have him do this again while I observe. Did I mention how amazing this was...wow! We had quite the feast. He made enough to last us several meals. I felt bad that the cook was having to prepare this feast with such limited kitchen supplies as our sea shipment is not here yet. He did manage with the help of borrowing a few things from our kind neighbors! Of course no one can replace my kind neighbors in Princeville...I don't even need to mention names as they no who they are! I was really impressed when it came time to peel the carrots, I offered my peeler, but he chose to use his huge chef knife! I actually took a video of it as I was so impressed. Just click the arrow button to watch!






This chicken was quite curious as to what was going on in the kitchen! Maybe she'll be next!
So after the wonderful meal we just carried our plates in and didn't even have to clean up! The kids want a cook now. But I think they will just have to settle for my cooking but I can't help but hope the neighbors go out of town at least once a month:-)

So if anyone decides to visit us in Chennai I will see if I can't arrange to have a meal prepared for you. It was an incredible experience!

7 comments:

Erika said...

I've been reading your blog lately and am amazed at all your wonderful experiences...Let me know when you learn how to cook a good curry meal...

Erika said...

I've been reading your blog lately, and I am amazed at all the wonderful experiences. Sounds like you are settling in well.
Let me know when you learn how to cook a good curry meal.

thatmompodcast said...

Jennifer, I am enjoying your blog....it is a mini-geography lesson for my boys!

Karen

thatmompodcast said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janie Rider said...

Jennifer ,
The meal looked fabulous . i sure would like to "borrow" a cook from my neighbor! I am so enjoying your blog.
Janie

Julie said...

Forget the pool party...when are we going to be invited over for dinner??!!! We can bring our own plates :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like all is well:) I'm glad you and the family are enjoying so many new things! Miss you!